Sunday, August 24, 2008

Wooden Beads


" Native Land" - Real Horn Bead Necklace
(comes with matching earrings).

Working with wooden beads that are unique in colour (I prefer the natural look and not two beads will be the same shade and colour), shape (found it variety shapes: round beads, tube beads, cubed beads, oval beads, etc.), size and texture is interesting especially since it is made from natural material. Many wooden beads found are made from agathis ash, basswood, beech, birch, cedar, cherry, eucalyptus, hickory, maple (hard or soft), marupa, oak (red or white), pine, poplar, ramin, redwood, tauari, walnut, white meranti, etc. An asset with working with wooden beads is that the wholes are larger and someone who has problems seeing the 'hole' will have no difficulty with it whatsoever. Did you know that beads could be natural, varnished, polished, stained, dyed? As I mentioned before, I prefer to work with natural and not dyed as the dye may gradually fade esp. if you get it wet with water. Whew, that is a lot of info. I better not tell you how czech beads are made of or you may be scared away. Also, I may learn a thing or two if I have to do research.

No comments: